4.05.2011

Vocatus atque non vocatus deus aderit – called or not called God is still present (some wise old bugger)

Wow, what a poweful statement! Whether we want God to be there or not, He is. It was sort of ironic today that I should happen to have posted this on facebook and not two seconds later, one of my FB friends post something about God hating drunkness and how she thought that was funny that God would hate. She is an atheist and I'm sure found it amusing that a Christian person would say that "God hates." I replied to her saying that God does not care if you drink but rather if you let the drink control you. Needless to say I also ended up asking her why she is atheist. I'm very curious to find out why. Probably because I don't think I could ever believe that God does not exist. I would rather be wrong about God existing and not have afterlife than be wrong in believing He does not exist when in fact He does and end up in hell.
So as I sat there contemplating her view on God, I asked myself what would it take for a non-believer to be a believer? What is that turning point? That lightbulb? Am I so naive to think that everyone should know God exists? I would like to think so. And what would I be willing to do to help someone come to that same conclusion? I would like to think anything within God's will.
I've never spoken to someone one-on-one about God because I don't feel like I know the Bible well enough. But really do I have to? I mean God has done some of the most amazing things in my life and I know they would not have happened had it not been for Him. So couldn't my experiences, my crazy unheard of human experiences be enough for someone?
These are questions I often ponder when we are discussing evangalism in church. Yes I went on mission trips and I helped put up roofs and concrete floors, and I sang songs and held little childrens hands but was that enough? Is it still enough? I don't think God's work is ever done and that we should keep going strong each and every day.
So I took that step today and asked: "Why are you an atheist, just curious?" We'll see where this goes.

No comments: