11.23.2009

pilgrams, indians, and corn

This week marked the beginning of Thanksgiving week, something that should not be overlooked or undermarketed. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Christmas music, wrapping paper and fun but first you must be thankful and grateful before you can be bountiful. I feel Christmas has become the overmarketed, highly publicized, shopping spree. I feel people have forgotten the true meaning of Christmas which makes me cringe when they completely jump over Thanksgiving without a thought and head straight for Black Friday. I wish sometimes that the world would slow down, take a deep breath and thank God for everything He has given them. Yes I said everything He has given them, not what they feel they have worked or earned for. Without God they wouldn't have the abilities or talents to have achieved such great things. So please let's remember pilgrams and indians who didn't have anything by todays society's standards had more corn than they could imagine because they were blessed by God and knew it!
Okay, off my soap box. I made it through my trip to Alabama. It was a long, tiring trip but it was a nice payoff to play in the Guld of Mexico in November! I only have my finals left, then five weeks of freedom (besides work). And I only have three semesters left before I *may* be done with school forever!!! =) This is definitely something to be grateful for!
Some things I learned last week...beignets from anywhere but Daddy's kitchen or Cafe Du Mont, just don't compare. There really are 6'10" men out there who actually can play basketball. (p.s. I feel quite short when standing next to them). There is something to be said about learning how to suture on a pig's foot. It's okay to make a C on a test every now and then. I DO NOT have to be a straight A student. 14hours in a car with two other hormonal women makes for a long trip but some good laughs too. There is strength in numbers, 140 FNP students have something to prove when our minds get together! I don't like to travel without my husband. My dogs really are like my kids. Alexandria, Louisania has something foul in it's air, literally. Katrina's effects can still be felt on the Gulf Coast. Whataburger has milk shakes that aren't that good. And last but not least, nothing ever worth having was easy to get.
Happy Turkey Day to everyone...remember thankful before bountiful. =)

No comments: